Thursday, February 19, 2015

Response to "We have more art than we need, you cant help people by being a miserable artist"

“We have more art than we need.
You can’t help people by being a miserable artist.
Don’t be an artist unless you absolutely have to.”
(what art critics said)
http://www.artbizblog.com/2015/02/art-critics-said-this.html
Lets look at the situation: if there are miserable artists, lets define that: A miserable artist is someone who isn't making money, or is making terrible art irregardless of the money.
Growing up in Tulsa in the 90's, it wasn't the art center of the universe, with there being only 2 galleries downtown, Living Arts and Tulsa Art Gallery. With NO INTERNET, one's exposure of art in Tulsa, was severely limited. I mean, one can easily guess that painting a technically realist painting like the ones you se at Philbrook was the way to go, as anyone generally can easily surmise this. But, LIving Arts of Tulsa and TAG were miserable. They tried to cater to the artsy fartsy world, while back then Philbrook was just showing their art. One could flip thru mags etc. But as a miserable artist is, and how it's defined, can be broad. .For example, a video artist. A video artist, is a miserable artist, no matter how you look at it. Why? Because, video art, isn't film, or auteur film art, but video art, which is the whiny video artists' bitching and whiny about the world and attacking mainstream media and Hollywood and just making terrible crappy video art with VHS, slow computers that make you scream like an insane asylum patient waiting for the render of simple film effects. Video art, is a miserable art, and creates miserable artists. The video artists wants to be miserable, to wallow in misery, as entertainment. THe want to see the misery of the world and tape it and discuss their misery, literally and metaphorically. As my Grandfather wanted me to paint, I was brainwashed by being 'young and stupid' and under the influence of depersonalizing side-effects of psychiatric pills, as well as influenced by having high school art teachers that are miserable video artists and seeing miserable art and miserable video art at Miserable Living Arts of Tulsa. So, its really backwards to try to learn art in Tulsa and grow from there, especially 90's Tulsa. When these art critics say they look at a lot of art and that the artist must look at a lot of art, it's no bullshit. The artist must look at every single art they can superhumanly gaze upon. True some works like a beautiful painting, would take hours to gaze upon. A painting was a TV set that one would look at for hours in one's home. But alas, we live in a super-information world, a data-crunching world, where art is glanced upon merely in seconds and then the next art piece is looked upon. Video art, is the most miserable art and will make any artist miserable. Unless of course, that video artist converts to another art medium or makes an art film. Film, is a money pit that sucks the life out of people when they try to make one. So is video art. FIlm is also a miserable art, but it has it's rewards and intellectual/social satisfactions. Video art may have intellectual satisfaction but it is a miserable intellectual satisfaction. Instead of painting, I did video art in art school, wasting 100 usd on 100 MB data disks, I spent perhaps more than 1000 on data discs, 1000 on VHS tapes, etc, and wasted hundreds of hours just sitting waiting for the computer to render and finish the product, screaming insanely. When, it would have been better, more prudent and far less miserable, to spend all that time painting, making tons of painting and painting and getting skilled. Waiting for a comptuer does no skill. Skill can be lost in the technical death of using technology. Skill in digital media is reliant on the meld of quantity and quality .When technology's time in rendering and constant technical details are chaotic, the skill is lost because of the lack of a connection between human and technology. Video art made me so miserable. I was so freaking miserable. I was terrorized. I was not taught how to make video art or film. I was given a history book of video art, watched shitty 70s and 80s video art and discussed those work, then made shitty video art. It was filthy disgusting. A great film book could have taught me a lot I wanted to know. Some film books teach a great many things about the world and art beyond film-making, because many great film-makers are high-brow intellectuals that are leaders and directors that direct hundreds of people, and they know life and how to take charge of it, so they things they say in the film books are of high value in education, and are amazing, in contrast to the deep disgusting misery of video art.
So the question is, is there too much art? I disagree. Because each person is unique and all are different, just like no snowflake or fingerprint is alike. But, mediums need to be more diverse to meet the demands to make art diverse just as humans are diverse. One shouldn't be limited by a medium or should art be limited to any medium.
As there isn't really too much art, as Ive almost seen every anime there is. Ive seen all the anime Ive wanted to watch, entire seasons, some animes I don't want to watch Ive seen at least one or two episodes. And I can think of at least a hundred more anime to fill in some voids in the anime world. If these art critics think there is too much art, they haven't seen anything yet. THere are voids out there. There are.
I almost commited suicide, at Youmacon of 2012, I was so sad because I had such a horrible Overactive Bladder attack from eating shitty Chinese fast food, and the dreadful thought that I wouldn't get laid because I was deaf, and I was so embarrassed about having a video art degree instead of an anime degree, that I wanted to jump to my death. I was at the Renassiance Detroit Tower, and each floor has an open space in the middle one can see far up and down from the balcony. It was rather very scary to see down, as it causes vertigo, and I had vertigo as well. So, the thoughts of life and death constantly reminding me from seeing the far drop, the overactive bladder, the video art misery, the deaf discrimination memories, etc etc I was so scared that I would jump to my death at Youmacon, so Saturday night I had to skip the cosplay rave because I was so messed up, emotionally, so miserable from video art.
So, I got over it, but it was a strange ordeal. The life of being deaf and being judged for being deaf is difficult. The lack of love and romance because I was on psychiatric pills from 1992-2000 was too much for me and very difficult to deal with.
So the moral of this story is that it is very important to see a lot of art and to carefully, carefully choose your art education from NON-MISERABLE ARTISTS at an art school that is NOT MISERABLE and select a NON-MISERABLE MAJOR.
I remember when in high school, I had a Animerica Anime and Manga Monthly magazine from June 1993, the summer before I attended art school. In there was an article about Anime Expo, but no pictures of AX or any cosplay. I was looking at this and drawing anime way back in 1993 and considering trying to get an anime degree. I wanted to go to Japan way back in 1993 and make anime. I knew I was already going to art school and it was all set, but here I was, wanting to make anime, and KCAI had no animation degree at this time. Back then, most art schools did not allow the art students to draw anime it was against the rules. Enforcement of Misery. Well, I asked my mom, "Can I go to Anime Expo 1993'? And she says, "How, what is it" We dont know much about it or something like that. Well I ended not going, as I wanted to investigate what it was all about. I wanted to know more, but no internet, no cosplay I had no idea there was anything like cosplay in 1993. So began the sad tale of me going to waste time on a miserable Video art degree. Im sure if I went to LA in 1993 to Anime Expo, Id get an ANimation Degree, Cosplay and marry a cosplay girl live in Japan and live a FUN life and not a miserable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment