This is an example of a film that I aspire to and that I call a "Black Belt Film". It is beautiful and the cinematography is stunning, the story is dark, the script is well-written and there is much madness and sadness. A good heart-wrenching film that relies purely on the art and craftmanship of film alone, not on special effects or gimmicks. I don't lay claims to being a "Black Belt film-maker". It takes dedication, training, for a Blue Belt to become a Black Belt, it takes more films and time and patience in order to make a "Black Belt" Film. Furthermore, film is a group effort and it would take mostly a "Black Belt' crew in order to make a "Black Belt" film. Furthermore, films are like faction battles, we have seen many times, a good faction win, and lose, win and lose. You either win or lose in making a film, just like a faction battle. It is precisely for this reason I call out a "Film Faction Battle". We will have a battle to see which "Film Faction" makes the best film. We will try to make a 10-15 minute piece that matches the status quota set by this Masterpiece: Marketa Lazarova. I will have my friends join my FIlm Faction and make a film, and I call out anyone who wishes to fight me in the opposing Film Faction and we shall see who makes the best film. All haters who oppose me and hate me feel free to attack me. When shall the deadline be?
Voted the best Czech film ever made, Marketa Lazarová is a powerful and passionate medieval epic set in the mid-13th Century. Based on avant-garde writer Vla...
- Seen by 41
- David Alexander Cardamone for the sake of variety in picking out references of works of film art for criteria, here is Ingmar Bergman's "The Seventh Seal". http://youtu.be/oxhZ_Zi6884
- David Alexander Cardamone People always say that the book is better than the movie, right? Thats because the human imagination is always better. A movie, should not replace the imagination, but spark it. Why do they say that Television vegetates and brainwash people? Because the programs are made to do your imagination for you. Thats mainstream media. On the other hand, with Film as a Subversive Art, the art 'subverts' from mainstream norms to take their viewers out of their "comfort zone" that Television usually brings them in. This "Subversive Zone" is where you have to engage your brain rather than vegetate and be brainwashed, its where you get a mental workout. During an art house film, you have to think and engage your imagination. Usually people think entertainment value has to do with the film doing your imagination for you, but for art, it should be the other way around. Art, is what makes us human, not animals.
- David Alexander Cardamone there are other LARPs that make movies. There are people in Melee that makes movies like me and Eric. Didn't you say you helped Eric with some camera work? This post fits logically in the Town Square. It may not be what you like but what you say is very illogical.
- David Alexander Cardamone That has nothing to do with this conversation in this thread. It still doesn't logically follow the progression from which was discussed here. This isn't about anything but me vs them. They look at it as a win-lose situation. Its about "Oh, I must win because I don't like the other person because they are different from who I am. I can't accept diversity in culture and differences in other people. Its too hard for my simple mind to comprehend. I can only relax by vegetating in the comfort zone of my own kind.". By looking at things in a win-lose situation, they are reducing everything to non-productive ways because they will only look for ways to defend their position of being spiteful. Besides I didn't follow it up with a very offensive insult that I was given. Did I call someone a **********? No I did not. Being called a Nazi is hardly a real insult these days. Excuses are excuses. I dont really find Melee fun to play anymore. I plan to move out of Tulsa to start my own Melee which will be very, very, very, very different from Tulsa Melee and we will make movies.
- Michael Kunze Hey skippy.. I happen to be German. My family left Germany fleeing the Nazis. We only recently resumed Contact with family that was left behind the Iron Curtain after 60 or more years of silence. So why don't you keep your damn mouth shut about Nazi this or that before you actually manage to piss me off. Shut your friggin suck for once.. You ignorant pathetic ass..
- David Alexander Cardamone Im half german with my family from Germany. I wouldn't really be upset if someone called me a Nazi, because i am not one. So I guess that means if someone was really a Nazi and was called one then they would be upset. Besides, Im sure if I probed into the medieval research on Nuremburg that they all share the characteristics, racial hatred, and fascism that Nazis have. Im sure it's a safe bet if I hit the books that their forces are similar nature to the Nazis.
- Eric Breitenbach While they share imagery and nomenclature, it is important to understand that Nurnberg are not Nazis. Neither the table top RPG canon nor the on field interpretations are.
What is undeniable is that members of the faction historically have played at the imagery and mannerisms. To the uninitiated and uninformed both on the faction and off, they can be easily misconstrued.
It does not help when members play into it, even in jest. You may not be a police officer, but if you wear the uniform you can't get upset when people ask you for help.
However, I have known many of these guys for over 20 years, and they are not in fact nazis. We never would have included them in The Eternal Adventure if they were actually based on such evil.
- David Alexander Cardamone Yes that is correct, Eric. However, from a historical accuracy, since Melee strives for Historical accuracy and not Fantasy, its pretty clear that mostly everyone in Medieval times were Rascist, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that the Melee members playing any medieval character associated with racism are racist.
- David Alexander Cardamone Its not really "offensive" its just you are looking for excuses to be offended. It wasnt on a Melee page, therefore its not open to discussion in Melee. It didn't happen at Melee or on a Melee page so it is not open for discussion on Melee as it wasn't a Melee activity So basically, my calling Nuremburg "Nazis" really didn't happen.
- Rusel Kernaghan David just stop and go take your meds or something. Remember when we talked once about how sometimes you seem to notice things and see things that arent there? This is one of those many occaissions man. Cut it out before we cut you out of our group at some point for all this idiocy.
- David Alexander Cardamone This post is about art films, about medieval times, and that is not idiocy. People here have strayed from subject holding grudges. If someone like Quentin Tarantino came on here and saw this post, he'd say, "Oh I love Marketa Lazarova, and of course, The Seventh Seal is the classic of all time". He then take me up on the bet to make a short film and then we'd see which one is better. Of course, you'd all say that he'd make a better film than me. That is true. But that's not the point. The point is disregarding intellectualism and creativity because of the grudges you guys hold against me.
- Rusel Kernaghan We dont hold any grudges against you, so stop with the self initiated pity party.
All we want you to do is to post things RELATED TO, ABOUT, or REGARDING MELEE just like the rest of us. Is it relavent or have anything to do with melee? No? Then dont post it man. Its like posting pro abortion to a ton of religious zealots. You wont get anywhere and NO MATTER how much you try to change out minds it just wont do any good for your opinion or point of view.
Please stop all these posts, the mud slinging, and the flaming of other teams/people just because they resemble something that they are clearly not. Personally, if you keep it up I myself must remember that this is a "self correcting honor system" (total joke if you ask me) and I will be forced to remind you that at the tip of my foam stick as often and painfully as need be until such posts cease or my equipment breaks. I can always make more equipment.
- Rusel Kernaghan Its not a threat at all. It is a polite reminder of the system we use. I intend to educate him, not hurt him. If my post was seen as a threat then I believe you are mistaken. I mean, if he cant in any way be censored for the completely ludicrous posts he makes then I believe mine is all well and Kosher.
- David Alexander Cardamone "Remember when we talked once about how sometimes you seem to notice things and see things that arent there? This is one of those many occassions man'. Well I apologize for thinking that some of you in Melee would make art films or discuss art films that are related to medieval or fantasy in nature. Im sorry for making out some of you for being "intellectual", I stand corrected I wont make some of you out for being intellectual I wont do it again.
- Rusel Kernaghan Awesome. However you feel is great! Provided you cease posting all this on the forums. ANyone else would be banned for life if not suspended for long periods of time from our forums for the things you post. I myself have been suspended for saying/posting far less.
Can someone please handle this already? This guy is making a laughing stock of us, he is insulting our factions and populous, and is constantly breaking the forum rules. Can melee stand behind its rules and do something this time?
- David Alexander Cardamone Making melee weapons is art. Making leather craft is art. Making garb is art. Painting banners and shields, etc is art. Doing roleplay and a roleplay death is performance art. Playing your character is art. Some people have a hard time accepting art in music and film, but yes, making a melee film is art. I know people have a hard time accepting "Film as a Subversive Art" as they are brainwashed by mainstream films but that's ok.
- Rusel Kernaghan Well, since the moderators of this forum obviously dont seem to be doing their job, so I am gonna go ahead and leave this forum. I sincerely wish whomever it is that polices this forum does something soon before people begin getting upset with this clown.
Can someone hit me up with news and updates when they occur? Please and thank you. See you guys Saturday!